This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamefreak View Post
    I didn't google the model you listed, but now I realize you purchased a handheld. Those handhelds are good but you won't have any real range unless say you were out with us and we were in a group. Or if you are on the northway as there are repeaters that strengthen the signal. Sorry for the tuning confusion.
    No problemos! I realize the range limitations. This is only for when I'm out with a group. During the 101 class we'll certainly all be close enough for this to be sufficient. Later I think I'll add a Firestick to the setup.

Comment

When we travel in a group going to trails, and on the trails a handheld works just fine. If on the road going to trails and the group catches a red light and gets really spread out you may lose contact. But other than that you should be fine.
      CDJW.org Board Member.
      Safety Officer.
      Original.

Comment

Originally posted by willys2a View Post
        When we travel in a group going to trails, and on the trails a handheld works just fine. If on the road going to trails and the group catches a red light and gets really spread out you may lose contact. But other than that you should be fine.
        Got it. So, I can hook a Firestarter up to this handheld, right? I realize the Firestarter would have to be mounted and tuned.

Comment

Most likely not if it is a dedicated hand held. There are some like mine that you can use as both hand held and wired. For example mine is a Midland 75-822 two in one radio. I have it wired in the jeep with a Firestik Firefly external antenna, but it can be disconnected to use as a hand held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ADKBob View Post

Got it. So, I can hook a Firestarter up to this handheld, right? I realize the Firestarter would have to be mounted and tuned.

Since the anntenna on it uses a standard BNC connector you should be able to remove the "stock" antenna it comes with and attach an external one in the same spot. At that point you will need to get it tuned as you don't want to use it without tuning and possibly fry the internals.

I just downloaded the manual prior to hitting send on this post and confirmed an external antenna can be used with your model. Would hate to give you incorrect advice

The PRO401HH can also use any type of 50 Ω / 27 MHz bandantenna. Although a telescoping antenna might provide bettertransmission and receiving, it is not as compact or easy to use asthe antenna included in the package
            Keith - CoFounder
            2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition

Comment

Since the coax cable that connects a radio to an antenna has a PL-259 connector I didn't think it could be done. But again the CDJW wizard was right! Any hand held radio can be connected to an external antenna, my bad. The only thing you are probably going to add to your shopping list when you do this is a BNC to PL-259 adapter or a coax cable with a BNC on one end to connect to the radio, and a PL-259 on the other to connect to the antenna.

Comment

I need a CDJW ninja outfit. Problem is, if i ever wear out on events no one will see me. Makes spotting difficult.
                Keith - CoFounder

Comment

Originally posted by ADKBob View Post

It will definitely work. You will just need a BNC to PL259 adapter. Super common, very cheap, and easy to install.
                  CDJW.org - Founder
                  2016 Rubicon
                  Awesome wife...

Comment

btw the antenna you are looking for is a Firestik Didnt want you to start googling and not find the right product! I personally have the 3 footer, i didn't want a huge antenna hanging over the top of my jeep, but i sacrificed some range due to that choice.
                    Keith - CoFounder

Comment

When out and about, what channel does everyone run on? Also, is this different from everyday driving as compared to trail rides or do the members stay on the same channel?

Comment

I only use my CB when wheeling or when going to and from trails. We usually run channel 33, maybe other members use it more than I.
                        CDJW.org Board Member.
                        Safety Officer.
                        Original.

Comment

All great questions, good job everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          CDJW.org - Founder
                          2016 Rubicon
                          Awesome wife...

Comment

Working...
                          X