Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm back!!

    As the title states, I AM BACK!! after a short while without a Jeep I have found one to make my own!


    it is a 1989 YJ with a 4.2 i-6 90k miles original. with heavy modding (not the engine, it's stock)

    Story time! - This Jeep was my brothers, he bought it about 4 years ago, bone stock. with the intention of building it in to a trail rig.
    This Jeep was his dream Jeep. then financial issues struck him unfortunately so I bought this from him to help him out.
    I've been wanting this thing from the start... so happy he let me take first pick.

    Him and I through the years have been working on it. doing this doing that.

    (he did most of it on his own time, I helped quite a bit in between) But what we did in short is - we did everything. we literally stripped it right down to the bare frame. sand blasted the frame, no rot no rust. powder coated it.
    same for the tub. no rust, blasted - painted.
    same for the axles. """""
    same for everything.

    the transfer case was rebuilt from a heavy duty rebuild kit from Summit Racing.
    the transmission was rebuilt from a heavy duty rebuild kit from Summit Racing.
    the front and rear axle housings were ripped apart and inspected to find imperfections - none seen. filled with Royal Purple.
    Leaf springs front and rear brand new.
    Shackles brand new.
    Did a leaf-over-axle conversion, with small lift blocks.
    did a large lift kit new shocks. about 8.5" lift overall.
    new brakes front and rear.
    New front linkage arms, all of them, drag - tie rod - sway bar - yadda yadda

    Engine while out of the vehicle was rebuilt.
    cleaned the carb - it is ok.
    new rotor/cap/plugs/wires.
    new gaskets.
    fuel filter.

    I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out but that's the main part of it all.

    some visual mods like diamond plating on the side for armor / powder coated black.
    Put on a TJ grill.. we both agreed our taste isn't favoring the square YJ lights.

    35" mud tires. brand new still, maybe 100 miles on them.

    So yeah , I'm back, friends! I'm 90% sure I'll be making Rausch creek. depends on how my little boy is doing at the time.

    and now - the photo!

    This is my truck and Jeep, the trailer is not mine - I will get one shortly.


    2.jpg3.jpg
    1989 Jeep YJ
    9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
    Handmade/Custom made everything
    35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

  • #2
    Looks good man! Glad to have you back. Sounds like you nailed it and scored exactly what you needed!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ItsTosh View Post
      Looks good man! Glad to have you back. Sounds like you nailed it and scored exactly what you needed!
      Thanks friend! yeah I got really lucky on this one. right place right time!
      1989 Jeep YJ
      9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
      Handmade/Custom made everything
      35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

      Comment


      • #4
        Sweet Jeep, glad to hear you're back. I picked you a trailer last year. I shopped around quite a bit. Wanted a aluminum trailer, but the price was more than double that of steel, and only about 500 lbs. lighter. So I went with steel, with a wood deck. 16' no duct tail. Dual axles with brakes. $2499 plus tax and title. Hauls my CJ and JK with no problem. Even hauled Curtis's JKU when he had that problem at Mettowee last year. Can't remember the name of the place I got it at, It use to be Herba Honda on Rt.30 just north of Amsterdam.
        CDJW.org Board Member.
        Safety Officer.
        Original.

        Comment


        • #5
          CDJW.org Board Member.
          Safety Officer.
          Original.

          Comment


          • #6
            Congrats! Looks like you picked up a great rig and helped your brother out at the same time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by willys2a View Post
              Sweet Jeep, glad to hear you're back. I picked you a trailer last year. I shopped around quite a bit. Wanted a aluminum trailer, but the price was more than double that of steel, and only about 500 lbs. lighter. So I went with steel, with a wood deck. 16' no duct tail. Dual axles with brakes. $2499 plus tax and title. Hauls my CJ and JK with no problem. Even hauled Curtis's JKU when he had that problem at Mettowee last year. Can't remember the name of the place I got it at, It use to be Herba Honda on Rt.30 just north of Amsterdam.
              Ah that's not a bad price for a brand new one. I'd love to grab an aluminum one but as you stated they're crazy expensive.
              I'll try to find the name of the shop and give them a call see what they can do for me.
              you'd suggest a 16 footer over anything shorter?

              And thanks, Dave! I couldn't stay away for a full wheeling season.. it's A) too fun and B) I'd miss the CDJW crew

              ​​​​​​​

              Originally posted by Adk-JK View Post
              Congrats! Looks like you picked up a great rig and helped your brother out at the same time.
              Thanks ADK!
              1989 Jeep YJ
              9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
              Handmade/Custom made everything
              35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

              Comment


              • #8
                Outdoor Motor Sports and Trailer Sales
                3953 NY Rt. 30, Amsterdam, NY

                518-842-8812

                Previously Herba Honda. I have no affiliation with them, I just live 5 mins down the road so I'm familiar with them and figured I could save you a few minutes of search time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ItsTosh View Post
                  Outdoor Motor Sports and Trailer Sales
                  3953 NY Rt. 30, Amsterdam, NY

                  518-842-8812

                  Previously Herba Honda. I have no affiliation with them, I just live 5 mins down the road so I'm familiar with them and figured I could save you a few minutes of search time.
                  oh cool, thanks, Tosh!
                  1989 Jeep YJ
                  9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
                  Handmade/Custom made everything
                  35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That's the name and place. I got the 16' trailer because because I was more interested in the weight capacity. Trailer 1500 lbs. my JK 4500lbs. That's towing 6000 lbs. here's the deal. The the difference between my trailer model 60CH (6000lbs) and the 70CH (7000lbs) was the axle capacity. Each axle is rated at 3500 lbs. on the 70CH. Giving the rating of 7000lbs. However my trailer model 60CH also has 3500lb. axles. So it is also rated for 7000lbs. It handled Curtis's JKU great. If you look at my photo you can see I have a lot of room left with my CJ-3A. 80" wheel base. Your YJ is longer around 101" I think. So you could get by with a shorter trailer. Just be sure of you weights. For safer towing always put vehicle facing forward, with 60% of weight if front of the leading axle.
                    CDJW.org Board Member.
                    Safety Officer.
                    Original.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by willys2a View Post
                      That's the name and place. I got the 16' trailer because because I was more interested in the weight capacity. Trailer 1500 lbs. my JK 4500lbs. That's towing 6000 lbs. here's the deal. The the difference between my trailer model 60CH (6000lbs) and the 70CH (7000lbs) was the axle capacity. Each axle is rated at 3500 lbs. on the 70CH. Giving the rating of 7000lbs. However my trailer model 60CH also has 3500lb. axles. So it is also rated for 7000lbs. It handled Curtis's JKU great. If you look at my photo you can see I have a lot of room left with my CJ-3A. 80" wheel base. Your YJ is longer around 101" I think. So you could get by with a shorter trailer. Just be sure of you weights. For safer towing always put vehicle facing forward, with 60% of weight if front of the leading axle.
                      Noted. Thanks for the information Dave!
                      1989 Jeep YJ
                      9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
                      Handmade/Custom made everything
                      35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Droni.

                        Noted. Thanks for the information Dave!
                        Not sure how I missed this post lol.. so awesome man. Come to the next monthly meeting!!


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        CDJW.org - Founder
                        2016 Rubicon
                        Awesome wife...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Nice Jeep!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Nor'Easter View Post
                            Nice Jeep!!
                            thank you !
                            1989 Jeep YJ
                            9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
                            Handmade/Custom made everything
                            35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X