How bout another.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bout another.

The lj i have came with a rough country 4" lift kit. Ride sucked. Replaced shocks with bilsteins and an upgraded stabilizer and pitman arm. So still has rough country springs and control arms. Thinking of replacing the remaining rough country stuff with a rock krawler 3.5 max travel. Thoughts on this? Also would like to do the swap myself.

What about the ride sucks?

The RC kit uses OEM style bushings on the control arms so im not sure how much of a difference you would get switching. The RK coils are triple rate so that should help some vs the RC dual rate coils.

At that height you should have upper and lower controls arms on the RC lift which i assume you do.

Another thing to consider is when was the last time it had a wheel alignment? I would also take a day and go through and verify everything is torqued correctly especially since you bought the jeep with a lift kit installed in it already. Also take a look at your control arm bushings and see if they are cracked etc not knowing how long the kit has been on the jeep.

I had an RK lift on my previous jeep and it was a stiff ride but was amazing offroad. IF you are really looking to switch i recommend MetalCloak. Once of the guys here has a metalcloak lift and i couldn't believe how well it handled and felt.
    Keith - CoFounder
    2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition

Comment

+1 on MetalCloak... nice lifts.. it was fun installing that lift... The fella seems to love it.

Note for Keith. Alignments on a Jeep are very minimal... it's a solid axle there's only a couple adjustments that can be made. but it won't effect ride comfortability. wouldn't hurt to have it aligned anyway, though. as long as your tires aren't worn/shitty or else the alignment will be crap.

Rough country lifts aren't the best in the world we know this. but I've never heard of one having a shitty ride. but they're "budget" lifts to say the least... saying this - I've had one and it worked great but I probably won't do another one but that's just my own personal opinion. not knocking anyone who has one. it got the job done.

If you don't want to go balls out on a lift with MetalCloak or Rock-Krawler. check out Fox... they do wonders to TJ/LJ's... but it's not as easy to maintain a "lift kit" from Fox. I just know they have a great ride.

Either way, Skip let us know what you do! and if you need a helping hand... we always want to tinker! and some of us have heated garages if you don't want cold fingers (if you don't have one, that is)
      1989 Jeep YJ
      9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
      Handmade/Custom made everything
      35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

Comment

Do these look like single rate springs? If so that means stiffer ride, correct?

Comment

OK. So the fact this is my first Wrangler may be the resultof my unrealistic expectations of quality of ride. So if either of you gentlemen who replied to my original post would be willing to take my LJ for a spin and give me your much more experienced input I would appreciate it very much. This has been a learning experience for me since I bought this a few months ago and I would imagine will continue as long as I own it. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Gerwin View Post
            OK. So the fact this is my first Wrangler may be the resultof my unrealistic expectations of quality of ride. So if either of you gentlemen who replied to my original post would be willing to take my LJ for a spin and give me your much more experienced input I would appreciate it very much. This has been a learning experience for me since I bought this a few months ago and I would imagine will continue as long as I own it. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help offered.
            Driving a jeep wrangler does take getting used to, but that being said you can have a a somewhat comfortable ride. I can definitely take it for a ride and see how it feels and help you from there.
            Keith - CoFounder

Comment

Like Keith stated, solid axles are a weird feel on a small rig, as compared to a pickup with solid front axles. (3/4ton +)

would be more than happy to take your Jeep for a ride one of these days.

Keith has unrealistic expectations of how a Wrangler should ride too, though. but the difference is he knows they ride like a pickup. but his old ass wants it to ride like an old caddy deville.

Maybe at the next meeting or holiday party we can have a "Skip's LJ test drive" event.
              1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

Droni is right though, i have higher expectation of how my jeep should drive I am very particular about my jeep and its performance. I blame my OCD.
                Keith - CoFounder

Comment

Sounds great! I'm afflicted with an old ass also so maybe that is part of the problem. You guys let me know when either or both of you would like to meet. My schedule is pretty open with the exception of work during the day and Wednesday evenings. Any other time is open. Well, until the streetlights come on. Then its bedtime.

Comment

Originally posted by KWeb View Post
                    Droni is right though, i have higher expectation of how my jeep should drive I am very particular about my jeep and its performance. I blame my OCD.
                    lol I'm with you on the OCD thing.... it's a burden most the time...

Sounds great! I'm afflicted with an old ass also so maybe that is part of the problem. You guys let me know when either or both of you would like to meet. My schedule is pretty open with the exception of work during the day and Wednesday evenings. Any other time is open. Well, until the streetlights come on. Then its bedtime.
                    haha yeah I have the same issue with bedtimes, I have a 10 month old at home.

Maybe we can grab a lunch or something some weekend soon and do it then? you're in Troy right?

​​​​​​​
                    1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

Wynantskill. Close enough. Sounds good. Weekends are pretty much open for me.

Comment

Wynantskill. Close enough. Sounds good. Weekends are pretty much open for me.
                        oh ok, I might be going to Colonie Center this weekend.. if I do I'll send you a pm see if you're around!
                        1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

Thanks! Iknow this is a busy time of the year for some. No hurry on this. I'd be open to meeting you anywhere closer to your home turf if you wish. Doesnt have to be a long drawn out process. Any input at all is that much more information than I have. And much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X