cleaning our Jeeps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning our Jeeps

Haven't seen anything on the forums on here about this.....so I thought I would start it.
    We all do a good job at getting our rigs muddy, and some of us do a great job at getting them clean again.
    I know I have my favorites. What does everyone else prefer or suggest?

I am partial to Mothers products, Turtle wax Liquid Ice wax and Silicone sealant. Any cheap brand of armoral for the undercarriage and Rain-x for the windows.
    CDJW4LYFE!

Would like to figure out how to get the mud stains out of my soft top.
    CDJW.org Board Member.
    Safety Officer.
    Original.

Comment

I agree to that one also. Stained since the 101 last year.
      CDJW4LYFE!

Comment

What do you use to get the mud out of your seats?

Comment

Austin, I think Keith said something about Lysol, and a sponge, but he has leather seats. To be honest I just got a good set of seat covers, and whenever I encounter mud I roll the windows up, and only go as fast as needed to get though it. I realize that last statement isn't your style of driving, but I don't have to clean mud off my seats.
          CDJW.org Board Member.
          Safety Officer.
          Original.

Comment

It was from the mud getting all over my pants and rubbing off onto the seats.lol

Comment

Just use a diluted detergent cleaner, like purple power. Squirt it on the seat and use a scrub brush and wet dry vac

Comment

I want to know what Keith uses. Have seen the mud just slide off the hood on his.
                CDJW4LYFE!

Comment

I use quite a few products for various cleaning jobs on my jeep. AS most of you know my OCD has a big influence in this

For the rims and tires i use Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Before you wash your jeep you spray this on your rims and the mud stained parts of your tires, then let it sit for about a minute. Dont leave it on too long when in the direct sunlight as its a heavy chemical base product and can stain your rims if your not careful. Once its sprayed on, spray some water on the tires and then use a scrub brush to get the mud off the tires unless you're at a manual Car wash the power sprayers there work just as good.

To get rid of the mud in your interior (including seats, dash, roll bar padding and just about everything in your interior) you should use Lysol All Purpose Cleaner with Lemon. Its a yellow Lysol bottle. The stuff does wonders for the interior and gets rid of all the mud on the doors and carpet and dash etc. Your best bet is to use it with a standard dish sponge (the one rough on one side and smooth on the other). You just get yourself a bucket and some warm water and pour some of the bottle in the bucket and scrub away. If the mud is real bad i would suggest an old bath towel to dry whatever you have just scrubbed right after you do it. This product will also work on plastic bumpers and fenders. Again, dont leave it out in the direct sunlight on for too long.

If your engine is dirty you can spray this on your engine and use a hose with some pressure to clean off a lot of the engine. A standard degreaser also works pretty well. but i personally think the Lysol works better and your results may vary

To polish/protect/clean your rims after washed i have been using BlueMagic polisher/cleaner. I used to use Nevr-Dull which is amazing but i found that the BlueMagic also protects and "seals" the rim making it easier to clean the next time. The BlueMagic is a small bottle usually next to the Nevr-Dull at your local Autozone etc. You grab an old rag and put a little bit of the BlueMagic on it and start wiping your rims. You let it dry for a minute or so and then use another rag to wipe it off. This will do wonders for any rim including factory ones.

When it comes time to waxing i have a couple favorites. For a quick and easy coating and shine i use Turtle Wax Ice liquid. This wax can be used on damn near every part of your jeep even if you have black plastic bumpers/fenders etc. You can also use it to wax your windows because it tends to last much longer than Rain-X does. Just don't use another non clear wax on your windshield because if its pitted a lot from rocks the wax will fill in the small pits on your windshield and be a royal pain to get out. The Turtle Wax Ice is also great for protecting and shining up your plastic fenders and bumpers. Since its wax based it will actually protect your fenders and bumpers longer than using an Armor All based product or Tire shine etc. You can use the Turtle Wax Ice first then put a coating of Tire Shine or whatever your preference is over it.

If I want a good wax for lasting longer and providing a better shine and making it easier for the mud to come off i use Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0. This is a liquid based wax and can be a little of a pain to get off but nothing a little elbow grease cant cure This stuff you have to be careful about getting it on your fenders and bumpers etc because it will leave a "stain". You can get rid of the stain its just not overly fun.

For tires i use good ole Black Magic Tire Wet. Just spray the stuff on evenly and let it sit. As long as you get a nice even spray you dont even have to wipe the stuff and if some of it gets on your rims just wipe it around and your rims will look clean. If you want something that will last a lot longer and not cause overspray from the tires sticking out..you can use Black Magic Tire Gel. Ive used it many times before and even after a rain the stuff is still on the tires. It also doesnt have your normal overspray from your tires after driving, the only issue with the Gel is applying it. Its a thick gel based product and cant be sprayed on so you have to wipe it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I have tried multiple tire sprays over the years and products and this is the best product i have used for making the tires shine for awhile and not wear off so easily.

For your soft top you want to use 303 Aerospace Protectant. its a cleaner and a protectant at the same time. Usually can be found at your Local NAPA or even some boating stores. Just about any Vinly based soft top cleaner should do the trick, but the 303 also protects so personally that's the way to go.

For my interior ive used quite a few products and have yet to find one that really works for me the way i want it to. I usually will scrub the interior with Lysol to clean it and get rid of any left over Armor All etc. Then i use Black Magic Tire Wet on the dash and doors etc. The problem with most of the interior armor all type products the shine doesn't last very long because of the plastic inside our jeeps. Ive also used Turtle Wax ICE Total Interior Care which is a great product to use if you don't want the shine but want a nice clean interior (as a bonus it leaves the jeep smelling good inside). When you use the Turtle Wax interior product do not spray it directly on your dash or doors etc, make sure you spray it on a rag and then wipe.

And for my interior windows i use Rain-X Glass cleaner. Reason i use that is because my front windows and a strip on my windshield is tinted and the Rain-X Glass cleaner is safe for aftermarket window tint. It also does not streak and cleans up the windows nicely.

As an addition, if you own a black Jeep you WANT to use Turtle Wax Black Kit. Its a long process and is a few steps but the end result is amazing. I used on my old 2 door black jeep after a year of off roading along with some minor scratches etc and it made the paint look like it just came from the factory. It really brings the black paint out and gives it one crazy shine. If you do try the wax make sure you buy some rubber gloves to protect your hands because each product in the kit is black so your hands can get stained. This is the best wax i have ever used for a black vehicle..again..a lot of work but the end result is amazing.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by KWeb; 05-29-2014, 04:46 PM.
                  Keith - CoFounder
                  2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition

Comment

dirty dirty jeeps!

Originally posted by tritonman View Post
                    I use quite a few products for various cleaning jobs on my jeep. AS most of you know my OCD has a big influence in this

For the rims and tires i use Eagle One All Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Before you wash your jeep you spray this on your rims and the mud stained parts of your tires, then let it sit for about a minute. Dont leave it on too long when in the direct sunlight as its a heavy chemical base product and can stain your rims if your not careful. Once its sprayed on, spray some water on the tires and then use a scrub brush to get the mud off the tires unless you're at a manual Car wash the power sprayers there work just as good.

To get rid of the mud in your interior (including seats, dash, roll bar padding and just about everything in your interior) you should use Lysol All Purpose Cleaner with Lemon. Its a yellow Lysol bottle. The stuff does wonders for the interior and gets rid of all the mud on the doors and carpet and dash etc. Your best bet is to use it with a standard dish sponge (the one rough on one side and smooth on the other). You just get yourself a bucket and some warm water and pour some of the bottle in the bucket and scrub away. If the mud is real bad i would suggest an old bath towel to dry whatever you have just scrubbed right after you do it. This product will also work on plastic bumpers and fenders. Again, dont leave it out in the direct sunlight on for too long.

If your engine is dirty you can spray this on your engine and use a hose with some pressure to clean off a lot of the engine. A standard degreaser also works pretty well. but i personally think the Lysol works better and your results may vary

To polish/protect/clean your rims after washed i have been using BlueMagic polisher/cleaner. I used to use Nevr-Dull which is amazing but i found that the BlueMagic also protects and "seals" the rim making it easier to clean the next time. The BlueMagic is a small bottle usually next to the Nevr-Dull at your local Autozone etc. You grab an old rag and put a little bit of the BlueMagic on it and start wiping your rims. You let it dry for a minute or so and then use another rag to wipe it off. This will do wonders for any rim including factory ones.

When it comes time to waxing i have a couple favorites. For a quick and easy coating and shine i use Turtle Wax Ice liquid. This wax can be used on damn near every part of your jeep even if you have black plastic bumpers/fenders etc. You can also use it to wax your windows because it tends to last much longer than Rain-X does. Just don't use another non clear wax on your windshield because if its pitted a lot from rocks the wax will fill in the small pits on your windshield and be a royal pain to get out. The Turtle Wax Ice is also great for protecting and shining up your plastic fenders and bumpers. Since its wax based it will actually protect your fenders and bumpers longer than using an Armor All based product or Tire shine etc. You can use the Turtle Wax Ice first then put a coating of Tire Shine or whatever your preference is over it.

If I want a good wax for lasting longer and providing a better shine and making it easier for the mud to come off i use Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0. This is a liquid based wax and can be a little of a pain to get off but nothing a little elbow grease cant cure This stuff you have to be careful about getting it on your fenders and bumpers etc because it will leave a "stain". You can get rid of the stain its just not overly fun.

For tires i use good ole Black Magic Tire Wet. Just spray the stuff on evenly and let it sit. As long as you get a nice even spray you dont even have to wipe the stuff and if some of it gets on your rims just wipe it around and your rims will look clean. If you want something that will last a lot longer and not cause overspray from the tires sticking out..you can use Black Magic Tire Gel. Ive used it many times before and even after a rain the stuff is still on the tires. It also doesnt have your normal overspray from your tires after driving, the only issue with the Gel is applying it. Its a thick gel based product and cant be sprayed on so you have to wipe it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I have tried multiple tire sprays over the years and products and this is the best product i have used for making the tires shine for awhile and not wear off so easily.

For your soft top you want to use 303 Aerospace Protectant. its a cleaner and a protectant at the same time. Usually can be found at your Local NAPA or even some boating stores. Just about any Vinly based soft top cleaner should do the trick, but the 303 also protects so personally that's the way to go.

For my interior ive used quite a few products and have yet to find one that really works for me the way i want it to. I usually will scrub the interior with Lysol to clean it and get rid of any left over Armor All etc. Then i use Black Magic Tire Wet on the dash and doors etc. The problem with most of the interior armor all type products the shine doesn't last very long because of the plastic inside our jeeps. Ive also used Turtle Wax ICE Total Interior Care which is a great product to use if you don't want the shine but want a nice clean interior (as a bonus it leaves the jeep smelling good inside). When you use the Turtle Wax interior product do not spray it directly on your dash or doors etc, make sure you spray it on a rag and then wipe.

And for my interior windows i use Rain-X Glass cleaner. Reason i use that is because my front windows and a strip on my windshield is tinted and the Rain-X Glass cleaner is safe for aftermarket window tint. It also does not streak and cleans up the windows nicely.

As an addition, if you own a black Jeep you WANT to use Turtle Wax Black Kit. Its a long process and is a few steps but the end result is amazing. I used on my old 2 door black jeep after a year of off roading along with some minor scratches etc and it made the paint look like it just came from the factory. It really brings the black paint out and gives it one crazy shine. If you do try the wax make sure you buy some rubber gloves to protect your hands because each product in the kit is black so your hands can get stained. This is the best wax i have ever used for a black vehicle..again..a lot of work but the end result is amazing.
                    I as well have o.c.d and own a jeep ahahah its a bad combination! but I gotta say it DOES keep me busy all the time for the wheels and tires on mine I use a mix of 50/50 purple power and water and it rips the grime right off! I wash it with the eagle one blue wash with nano wax in it and Iv always waxed it with meguires ultimate compound but recently tried Nufinish in the old school orange can and omg its amazing! I could dukes of hazard slide across the hood ahaha , and of course I don't wax it every wash but in between I use lucas spray wax with a microfiber towel and that keeps it wet and slippery looking PLUS helps take mud off if ya go wheeling "which always happens " iv found that on the tires THE BEST tire shine is the meguires nxt in either the spray or gel and it also works unbelievable on the black plastic fenders and bumpers and absolutely brings them back to like new or better! for my interior iv found armorall extreme works sick on the dash and all the plastics and windex works great on all the glass. If you have a scratch try meguires ultimate compound first but DO NOT USE turtle wax scratch fix! it scratches your paint like crazy. I manage an advance auto and iv seen more people ruin their paint then try to sue us over that product .that's about all I believe ! happy jeeping!

Comment

It is really hard to protect jeep from getting muds on. I always need to clean up jeep after travel. And the cleaning job takes up too much time and would need an effective dish scrubber or other brushes. I would like to know whether there is any professional and powerful tool for cleaning. Any advice?

Comment

I recommend a good solid waxing. That helps a lot with keeping the mud from sticking to the jeep and makes it easier to clean it. Wash the jeep, clay bar , then apply a solid coat of paste wax in the beginning of the season. Then touch up with waxes in between using a liquid base wax. This keeps the paint protected and smooth so it's much easier to wash off and takes less effort.

If you want to get the under carriage clean you can always do the old sprinkler trick and put one under the jeep and just let it go for a while occasionally moving it. There are brush extensions that attach to your hose so you can clean while rinsing.

There really is no solid way or special tool to keep the jeep clean. You could always install mud flaps to help with the spraying.

Also never hurts to own a power washer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Keith - CoFounder
                        2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition

Comment

Originally posted by KWeb
                          I recommend a good solid waxing. That helps a lot with keeping the mud from sticking to the jeep and makes it easier to clean it. Wash the jeep, clay bar , then apply a solid coat of paste wax in the beginning of the season. Then touch up with waxes in between using a liquid base wax. This keeps the paint protected and smooth so it's much easier to wash off and takes less effort.

If you want to get the under carriage clean you can always do the old sprinkler trick and put one under the jeep and just let it go for a while occasionally moving it. There are brush extensions that attach to your hose so you can clean while rinsing.

There really is no solid way or special tool to keep the jeep clean. You could always install mud flaps to help with the spraying.

Also never hurts to own a power washer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                          +1 on the power washer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          CDJW.org - Founder
                          2016 Rubicon
                          Awesome wife...

Comment

Working...
                          X