Hardest part of my CJ3A build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest part of my CJ3A build

My CJ-3A has been parked and in storage since 2001. It got parked because of a blown transmission and two kids in college. It's time to rebuild. Here's what I'm starting with. 1951 CJ-3A, Oldsmobile 225 cu in V-6,with cam, hi-rise intake manifold with Holley 600cfm 4-barrel carb. Hedman headers. Muncie 4-speed transmission, model 18 transfer case. 5:38 gears. 11" brakes, Saginaw power steering. I did a complete frame up rebuild in 1982 when I traded a 1968 Ford bronco for it. Now what it needs, brakes and lines maybe new master cylinder (I have one), rebuild the transmission maybe go auto (I have a turbo 400 in the garage). Freshen the transfer case. New clutch,pressure plate,throw out bearing,resurface the flywheel (if I stay with the 4-speed). Install the adapter if I go automatic. Then it's motor time. It hasn't run in over 10 years. Probably needs complete rebuild. Other option I have a Chevy 350 sitting around but that adds weight and enough power to break parts, not to mention new motor mounts,radiator and even more headaches. Also should repaint but if I leave it all faded as it is I wouldn't worry about scratches or other damages. I also have two other sets of axles one set with 4:27 gears, and one set with 3:73 gears this one has limited slip rear end. I haven't decided which one to use.
    But the hardest part is going to be CLEANING OUT MY GARAGE TO GET IT IN!!image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by willys2a; 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM.
    CDJW.org Board Member.
    Safety Officer.
    Original.

Re: Hardest part of my CJ3A build

Let me know if i can help.
    CDJW.org - Founder
    2016 Rubicon
    Awesome wife...

Comment

Cleaned out just enough space in the garage to finally get the CJ-3a in to start work on it. I figured to try to get the engine running first that would decide what my next move is going to be. Today I pulled the nose off for better access to everything cleaned up what I could, pulled the plugs looked in the cylinders, didn't look to bad. I squirted some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. Will let it soak a day or two before I try turning it over. Got to dig up a new gas tank this ones really to bad to use. Clean the carb, new points,condenser,rotor, distributor cap,wires,filters, change the oil. Should fire right up. Will keep you posted on my progress. Have to admit the Jeeps in really bad shape everything is rusted. I think buying stock in WD-40 would be a good move. But darn it sure felt good work on it again.

image.jpg
      Last edited by willys2a; 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM.
      CDJW.org Board Member.
      Safety Officer.
      Original.

Comment

Pulled spark plugs and valve covers. Engine turned over by hand, and all valves opened and closed. No signs of rust or sludge anywhere the oil still looks like new. That's the good news. The bad is the fuel tank is all rusted inside and leaks at a seam. I dug though the attic of my garage and found another tank, clean as a whistle inside but also leaks. Talked to Empire radiator in Albany (they are a dealer for Renu-it) a company that cleans and seals Fuel tank. They want $400 to fix it.They told me the prices are high cause they normally do hard to find tanks for restorations. I said no thanks and ordered a new tank, cap and sending unit from Kaiser Willys Parts in So Carolina $230 with shipping. So much for buying local. Should get it next week. New gas, oil, filters, plugs,points,tune-up and battery and she should start. Wish me luck.
        Last edited by willys2a; 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM.
        CDJW.org Board Member.
        Safety Officer.
        Original.

Comment

Fed-ex delivered new gas tank yesterday, to much going on the next few days with the holiday, but hope to get back in the garage this weekend. Can't seem to find the keys (after years of storage) so installing new ignition switch, also looking into a one wire altenator to do away with external voltage regulator. Hopefully next post will say engine running.image.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by willys2a; 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM.
          CDJW.org Board Member.
          Safety Officer.
          Original.

Comment

If I knew what the hell I was doing I would totally help with this! Although, if you need a tool/beer/photo bitch I will gladly be there
            Keith - CoFounder
            2018 JLU Rubicon

Comment

"willys2a" wrote: Fed-ex delivered new gas tank yesterday, to much going on the next few days with the holiday, but hope to get back in the garage this weekend. Can't seem to find the keys (after years of storage) so installing new ignition switch, also looking into a one wire altenator to do away with external voltage regulator. Hopefully next post will say engine running.
              You have my cell phone number.... call if you need help.
              CDJW.org - Founder
              2016 Rubicon
              Awesome wife...

Comment

Holidays slowed me down a little. Back in the garage today was planning to try and start engine today. Hooked up battery figured I'd try cranking it over, check for any odd noises, etc. plugs out, coil wire off, hit the starter and the engine cranked like a champ. Oil pressure came up,oil up to rocker arms, everything looks good. Started to put in the new fuel tank (under the drivers seat) Decided the floor was just to rough, So, I'm now in the process of putting in a new floor. Got all the new floor panels made today will install and paint tomorrow. A little set back, maybe it' ll be up and running soon.

image.jpgimage.jpg
                Last edited by willys2a; 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM.
                CDJW.org Board Member.
                Safety Officer.
                Original.

Comment

"willys2a" wrote: Holidays slowed me down a little. Back in the garage today was planning to try and start engine today. Hooked up battery figured I'd try cranking it over, check for any odd noises, etc. plugs out, coil wire off, hit the starter and the engine cranked like a champ. Oil pressure came up,oil up to rocker arms, everything looks good. Started to put in the new fuel tank (under the drivers seat) Decided the floor was just to rough, So, I'm now in the process of putting in a new floor. Got all the new floor panels made today will install and paint tomorrow. A little set back, maybe it' ll be up and running soon.
                  WE NEED SOME PICTURES MR! How is everything coming?
                  CDJW.org - Founder
                  2016 Rubicon
                  Awesome wife...

Comment

I've been taking pictures, just can't figure out how to post them, but I' working on it.

Figured it out with my editor. Attached files [img]/attachments/452=114-13 Alot of work ahead.JPG[/img] [img]/attachments/452=115-16 First trip to NAPA $80. The quote on the wall says it all..JPG[/img]
                    CDJW.org Board Member.
                    Safety Officer.
                    Original.

Comment

"willys2a" wrote: I've been taking pictures, just can't figure out how to post them, but I' working on it.

Figured it out with my editor.
                      WoW!! Very impressed my friend. Good work.
                      CDJW.org - Founder
                      2016 Rubicon
                      Awesome wife...

Comment

As the others have said, let me know if you need any help. I don't know what kinds of equipment you have but I have a mig welder and a plasma cutter. If you get into anything where either one of those would help just give me a shout.
                        Duda

Current
                        '12 2 door Rubicon
                        Past
                        '08 4 door X

Comment

"willys2a" wrote: My CJ-3A has been parked and in storage since 2001. It got parked because of a blown transmission and two kids in college. It's time to rebuild. Here's what I'm starting with. 1951 CJ-3A, Oldsmobile 225 cu in V-6,with cam, hi-rise intake manifold with Holley 600cfm 4-barrel carb. Hedman headers. Muncie 4-speed transmission, model 18 transfer case. 5:38 gears. 11" brakes, Saginaw power steering. I did a complete frame up rebuild in 1982 when I traded a 1968 Ford bronco for it. Now what it needs, brakes and lines maybe new master cylinder (I have one), rebuild the transmission maybe go auto (I have a turbo 400 in the garage). Freshen the transfer case. New clutch,pressure plate,throw out bearing,resurface the flywheel (if I stay with the 4-speed). Install the adapter if I go automatic. Then it's motor time. It hasn't run in over 10 years. Probably needs complete rebuild. Other option I have a Chevy 350 sitting around but that adds weight and enough power to break parts, not to mention new motor mounts,radiator and even more headaches. Also should repaint but if I leave it all faded as it is I wouldn't worry about scratches or other damages. I also have two other sets of axles one set with 4:27 gears, and one set with 3:73 gears this one has limited slip rear end. I haven't decided which one to use. But the hardest part is going to be CLEANING OUT MY GARAGE TO GET IT IN!!
                          I love the color of this thing.. I am color blind and its hard for me to see most colors, but orange sticks out for me!
                          CDJW.org - Founder
                          2016 Rubicon
                          Awesome wife...

Comment

Believe it or not that's "Chevrolet Engine Orange". I'm considering painting it "Camo". Then you won't see it at all.
                            CDJW.org Board Member.
                            Safety Officer.
                            Original.

Comment

Keep it up man! Cant wait too see u roll up at the new years party in that thing
                              CDJW.org - Founder
                              2016 Rubicon
                              Awesome wife...

Comment

Working...
                              X