Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gathering ideas.

What's up CDJW-ers!?!

I've searched google and such but the only outcome was "Stop being a baby and just drill"

I want to make a fully removable CB radio kit for my truck for Rausch Creek trip and other trips that require me to tow the YJ.

but I REFUSE to drill my truck for a cb radio.

Any ideas? Can I get a shorty antenna and just leave it in the cab and use that or would that have crappy range/reception quality?

Cigarette lighter power for the CB I hear is very swing or miss. so I'll more than likely just run some hidden wires and have them be spade connectors so I can just pull it when I don't need it.

so basically I'm just looking for insight where to put an antenna without drilling.

I have a tonneau cover so clamping to the bed-side is out of the question which is what is making this difficult.

Inputs please! Thanks friends!
    1989 Jeep YJ
    9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
    Handmade/Custom made everything
    35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

Mag mount? Do they make a mount that goes under the hood, and sneaks out around the hood when it's closed? Maybe just run a decent handheld?

Comment

I know you're handy and all... Not sure of your tooling, but we could design and build a mount easily from some scrap sheetmetal. Maybe design and build a mount that goes under the tonneau, or behind a bumper or something? We can custom fab anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTosh View Post
        I know you're handy and all... Not sure of your tooling, but we could design and build a mount easily from some scrap sheetmetal. Maybe design and build a mount that goes under the tonneau, or behind a bumper or something? We can custom fab anything.
        This is kind of the route I was going to take. at some point this week I need to change the oil in that thing so I'll take a look around to see which bolts I can use to just toss a piece of heavy grade sheet metal under... my big thing is scratches so I'll be somehow putting felt or packing foam-sheets under it to prevent any paint damage. otherwise I would have gone a magnet route but those scare me with paint.

To your point with a handheld. the reception is poor, no? unless it's hooked up to an antenna while in vehicle. which would bring me back to square 1 :P not opposed to a handheld. they're super useful on the trails..

so I guess this is a call out to everyone also - anyone have any handheld recommendations that can be hooked up to a antenna while in vehicle, that is good? I'll start googling now but real world recommendations from good friends goes farther than google-trolls.
        1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

I ran into the same problem
          with my van. I purchased a
          antenna with a magnetic base
          and booster. I had a hard time
          tuning it, still not sure its
          right
          Last edited by willys2a; 03-20-2018, 01:02 PM.
          CDJW.org Board Member.
          Safety Officer.
          Original.

Comment

Anyone else having problems
            with this site? Keeps cutting
            half my posts off.
            CDJW.org Board Member.
            Safety Officer.
            Original.

Comment

Droni, I use the cigarette lighter
              to power the CB in my JK,
              works just fine.
              CDJW.org Board Member.
              Safety Officer.
              Original.

Comment

Handheld range increaseds a lot
                hooked to good antenna
                CDJW.org Board Member.
                Safety Officer.
                Original.

Comment

Originally posted by willys2a View Post
                  Handheld range increaseds a lot
                  hooked to good antenna

hahahhaa having issues there, Dave? Someone recently was having issues with the same thing. you on your phone? I think Jay narrowed it down to that being the issue.

Maybe I'll cig lighter it then.. and figure out a easy routing on the antenna and use handheld for the mobility of it.. correct me if I'm wrong which I think I am. the antenna mount acts as a ground? so if I just toss it in the cab and put it near the rear window it will not be grounded and sound like crap? if I'm wrong then I'll try that so I'm not routing a cable out my window and such..

I'm an overthinker.. sorry lol
                  1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

Originally posted by Droni. View Post

hahahhaa having issues there, Dave? Someone recently was having issues with the same thing. you on your phone? I think Jay narrowed it down to that being the issue.
                    yeah phone posting seems to be off a little, they need to update the app.
                    2003 TJ X - Light Metallic Khaki and Black "Blackout Special" on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires
                    M101 CDN2 Trailer on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires

More mods than can fit in a signature ;-)

My Build Thread

Comment

Not on phone, on I Pad
                      CDJW.org Board Member.
                      Safety Officer.
                      Original.

Comment

iPad. you fancy tech-guy you.

for real though. GOOD handhelds? lol
                        1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

I have heard that you're right on the grounding concerns... But I could have heard/remembered wrong. Jay would know. I've run a cheap Midland handheld when my old radio was cooking itself. It worked. That's all I'll say. But it was a cheap one. Jay has a really nice handheld (Cobra?) that I think can be had for under $100 that we've used plenty of times and it was tough to tell the difference considering the range that we needed. Even on the highway, if you're placed in the middle of the group you'd probably be fine. If you're first or last, you may have some trouble reaching the opposite end of the group.

Comment

Got my handheld $40 at Radio Shsck.
                            great for on the trails.
                            Hooked to my firestick
                            great range
                            CDJW.org Board Member.
                            Safety Officer.
                            Original.

Comment

thanks for the insight fellas! turns out one of my part suppliers was a CB nerd back in the day, kind of is still today. he pointed me in the right direction for stuff I'll need for an easy setup.

Turns out there is a antenna mount that goes on the bedrail holes on the truck and it is offset 6" either in or outside the bed. he said he ran one with a tonneau cover and it fit perfectly, I just need to find a good wire routing spot now for the antenna wire... that will be this weekend. so I'm going to try that. and I ordered a full size radio I'll just leave in my glove box when not using it. and make quick disconnects on the power and ground wires so when not in use you'll never know there was one there.

Thanks again for all the information. I may still get a handheld for when walking around. would be a great tool to have... the midland has fantastic reviews and is not terribly expensive..
                              1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

Working...
                              X