Cb recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cb recommendation

Seeing how I'll need one for wheeling anyway, thought it was a good time to start shopping. Amazon has the uniden 520xl for $40 right now, I'm thinking that's the radio I'll get. Also need a wire, looks like most lengths are 18'. That'll work I suppose. Any recommendations on antennas? I've herd foot things about the fire stik's. Not sure where I'm mounting it yet. Bumper maybe, or get/make a bracket behind the spare tire. Thinking either a 3 or 4 foot.

I have all the install stuff, wires, fuses, yadda yadda.

Anything I'm missing? Opinions on what I'm looking at? Anyone have an old setup in their basement they'd be willing to let go of for cheap? This will be my first cb, so I'm kinda learning as I go.
    2006 TJRU

I have a Uniden 510XL with 4' Firestick in my JK works great, just purchased a Uniden 520XL with 4' Firestick for my CJ-3A.
    I got a 9' coaxial cable, it's long enough for me. You also will need a what's called a stud mount to connect the coaxial to the antenna. I use the Firestick HD stud mount #SO-239
    All purchased on Amazon
    CDJW.org Board Member.
    Safety Officer.
    Original.

Comment

Ah, a stud mount. Yeah, that might help.

Where'd you mount it? The bumper? Or did you buy a mount for it?
      2006 TJRU

Comment

I'm looking at the low profile fire-flex cable with fire ring and stud. It's a little more expensive, but I like that the cable will be custom fit (by me) and the integrated design of the stud. All in, I'm looking about $100 including the cb mount bracket.
        2006 TJRU

Comment

My JK, radio mounted to glove box door, power from cigarette lighter, antenna mounted on bracket on spare tire mount. On CJ-3A radio under dash hard wired to battery, antenna, made bracket to mount inside body tub, (Idon't run a top). Even with Amazons good price for CB it's around $100 after you buy everything else.
          Last edited by willys2a; 03-07-2015, 11:45 AM.
          CDJW.org Board Member.
          Safety Officer.
          Original.

Comment

Originally posted by willys2a View Post
            My JK, radio mounted to glove box door, power from cigarette lighter, antenna mounted on bracket on spare tire mount. On CJ-3A radio under dash hard wired to battery, antenna, made bracket to mount inside body tub, (Idon't run a top). Even with Amazons good price for CB it's around $100 after you buy everything else.
            I have the 510XL mounted under my glove box..it's out of the way enough to not be kicked.. I wired mine right to the battery.. I've read that the cig lighter doesn't have much juice and hurts the range? I don't know..the cb runs on such low voltage that I doubt it really matters..but less wires in the cab the better IMO. :P

I like the 510XL so far.. works great.. my only issue is my antenna I need to get a firestik...
            2013 Dune JKSU
            3.5" Lift
            Barricade Off-road w/ LED front bumper
            Smittybilt XRC w/ tire carrier rear bumper
            Smittybilt X20 10k/lb Synthetic Rope winch
            35x12.5x16 Kumho KL71 M/T's

Comment

I have the Cobra 75 WX ST Mobile CB Radio which has a hidden mounting option and you just plug the CB in to that. Im planning on getting it installed very soon and doing a nice little write up.
              Keith - CoFounder
              2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition

Comment

Droni, my 510xl works great. I think it's the type of antenna that affects your range more so that how you wire it. I use a 4' Firestick mounted on spare tire bracket ( mounts in center of jeep up high)
                CDJW.org Board Member.
                Safety Officer.
                Original.

Comment

Some light reading for CB Antenna range

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/bl...approximations
                  Keith - CoFounder
                  2013 Oscar Mike Freedom Edition

Comment

Originally posted by willys2a View Post
                    Droni, my 510xl works great. I think it's the type of antenna that affects your range more so that how you wire it. I use a 4' Firestick mounted on spare tire bracket ( mounts in center of jeep up high)
                    I'm going to order up a tire mount and antenna, any recommendations on the mount? after installing this I'll need to park outside lol.. unless the mount has a quick disconnect in it..which would be great :P
                    2013 Dune JKSU
                    3.5" Lift
                    Barricade Off-road w/ LED front bumper
                    Smittybilt XRC w/ tire carrier rear bumper
                    Smittybilt X20 10k/lb Synthetic Rope winch
                    35x12.5x16 Kumho KL71 M/T's

Comment

Originally posted by Droni. View Post
                      I'm going to order up a tire mount and antenna, any recommendations on the mount? after installing this I'll need to park outside lol.. unless the mount has a quick disconnect in it..which would be great :P
                      I grabbed a quick disconnect off amazon made by firestik - FireStik K-1A Push-n-Twist quick disconnect https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UTQUAK..._aF1.ub0GBAGSH
                      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UTQUAK..._aF1.ub0GBAGSH

Fits nicely. Mine would walk off quite quickly as I live in the heart of Albany
                      2003 TJ X - Light Metallic Khaki and Black "Blackout Special" on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires
                      M101 CDN2 Trailer on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires

More mods than can fit in a signature ;-)

My Build Thread

Comment

I went with the Midland 75-823. Self contained unit, nothing to mount, and doubles as a hand held. The mount is a Firestik moulded side mount I installed near the rear taillight. Had to drill two small holes, but it looks factory installed. My antenna's are Firestik Firefly. They are more flexible than Firestik 2, so no need for a spring. I have these in 3 and 4 foot. I use the 3 on the trail to clear obstacles. I chose this setup because I can take the antenna off, and just put the radio in the glovebox when I'm not using it. You don't see anything. Hit the trail, then take the wife for dinner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thread revival! So, I need to get myself a CB so I can join in on some trail fun. Is it the recommendation to always wire a unit to a firestik. Handheld units wont have the range with their antenna inside the cabin, correct? I've only used one once, radioshack handheld for a subaru cruse for cancer. There it worked ok, but that also was not in the woods and we were all pretty close. I was looking at the midland 822 or the . I have no problem wiring it up to an antenna, which i would need a quick disconnect.

Comment

Handhelds work fine for our use. Many people in the club have them. I have one that I use when I'm in and out of the Jeep spotting drivers through obstacles. I do prefer my mobile to a handheld though. You'll get better range, better sound quality, and holding a microphone as opposed to a full handheld unit is definitely less of an encumbrance.

Comment

I agree, the handhelds are great when out spotting but other than that, a mobile unit is the way to go. I

Comment

Working...
                              X