X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth Mounting a Cobra 75WXST- a mini build log

**** THIS TOP POST WILL BE EDITED TO CONTAIN THE FULL BUILD ****
    **** A JK INSTALL BUILD WILL BE IN THE POST BELOW THIS ONE *****

This will be a mini build log of how to get the components to do a full stealth install.
    Mine will be for a TJ but this really applies to any vehicle.

I saw a member on a truck forum do it and I think its a good way to install these to keep them dry and safe

This is what the CB setup looks like:

Img_9351.jpg

So here are the photos he posted:

Img_9414.jpgIMG_9725.jpgtruckpics016.jpg

Because this type of CB has remote antenna connector and no need to access the body it can be hidden anywhere it will fit.
    What Im going to do here is the leg work and find the surface mount components, and show install spots.

reversal of connectors and soldering will be required!

This type of install will only be useful for those with the same style remote connection box.

* Connector found:

http://redmancbparts.com/5-pin-radio-panel-jack/
    $6.57 shipped

jacks_5pina.jpg

The connector coming off the antenna / power box will be removed. The new panel mount connector will be soldered on.
    Be sure to measure carefully for the hole size before drilling. and also before soldering to make sure the nut is on the other side.

The connector removed from the control box will replace the one on the CB unit itself.
    This will make an easily removable handset and a very flush water resistant connection.

wiring-.jpg

There are numbers if you look closely on the connectors.

IMG_2753.jpgIMG_2754.jpg

Its really very easy to do, even for a beginner. Match the color to the number kids. And 5 minutes later you are done.

MAKE SURE TO PUT THE SUPPORT RINGS FOR THE NEW CONNECTOR ON BEFORE YOU SOLDER THE CONNECTOR ON!!!

Photo Mar 12, 11 02 42.jpg

Ok Im going to install in this location on my TJ:

Photo Mar 17, 13 27 56.jpg

Nothing there on my model but some have an airbag cutoff switch there.
    If you have something there you may want to pull one of the button blanks to the left and mount it in there.

Photo Apr 03, 08 40 01.jpgPhoto Apr 03, 08 40 09.jpg

This is the panel removed and wires disconnected.

Photo Apr 03, 12 55 00.jpg

measure the the size of the plug you are using. mine is 5/8 inch

Photo Apr 03, 13 05 43.jpg
    I used a stepper bit to get the 5/8 hole that I needed. These bits make hole drilling super easy!

************************************************** ******************************
    *********************Continued in next post due to photo limit***********************
    ************************************************** *******************************
    Last edited by mamefreak; 09-14-2015, 04:10 PM.
    2003 TJ X - Light Metallic Khaki and Black "Blackout Special" on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires
    M101 CDN2 Trailer on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires

More mods than can fit in a signature ;-)

My Build Thread

Photo Apr 03, 13 04 50.jpgPhoto Apr 03, 13 04 57.jpg

I mounted the jack to the left side of the panel against an empty post for stability and to save space for a future AUX out port

So I got the idea to mount the control box right behind where the port is mounted inside the dash board:

IMG_3176.jpg

I removed the screw on the right side and the metal from the top of the control box:

IMG_3179.jpg

So I test fit the bracket, and it seemed good - went ahead and soldered the wires on

IMG_3178 (1).jpg

placed it in the upper corner and drilled a small hole through the lower bracket to mount it securely

IMG_3177.jpg

At this point you can attach your CB cable , feed the power wire through the back of the dash DIRECTLY to the battery!
    Carefully replace the switch panel and bezel and YOU ARE DONE!!!!! Enjoy the factory look. I may add a Aux port to connect the control box to my radio.

IMG_3180.jpg
    Last edited by KWeb; 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM.
    2003 TJ X - Light Metallic Khaki and Black "Blackout Special" on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires

My Build Thread

Comment

reserved ( Just in case)
      Last edited by mamefreak; 07-13-2015, 10:52 PM.

My Build Thread

Comment

WOW DUDE! Jeepers love pics!
        CDJW.org - Founder
        2016 Rubicon
        Awesome wife...

Comment

Very nice...
          2001 TJ.
          Bedlined black
          Lifted 4.5". 35" mud claws.
          Locked. Let's wheel!

Comment

Originally posted by Droni. View Post
            Very nice...
            Thanks !!! :-) Ill be working with Keith on a JK install this weekend if all goes well.

My Build Thread

Comment

Stealth Mounting a Cobra 75WXST- a mini build log

Inspired by this post I've been researching how to do something similar in my JK and I finally got it installed this weekend.

I installed the unit behind the glove box with some trusty zip ties.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442245962.769478.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442246195.587319.jpg

From there it was simple to run the power to the battery and the antennae cable from the tail gate.
              The connector for the handset tucks away when not in use, but is easily reach to hook up when needed.
              ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442246078.333185.jpg

And lastly I ordered the Quadratec Cobra 75 mount that fixes to the grab handle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442246127.637130.jpg

All done! A pretty simple installation without any drilling!
              Last edited by robert; 09-14-2015, 08:09 PM.
              2011 Mango Tango JKUR
              3.5 Rock Krawler X Factor
              35" Nitto Trail Grappler
              ACE Rock Rails
              Teraflex Hinge and Carrier
              AEV Snorkel
              EVO ProTek Skid plates

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                Inspired by this post I've been researching how to do something similar in my JK and I finally got it installed this weekend.

I installed the unit behind the glove box with some trusty zip ties.

[ATTACH]846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]849[/ATTACH]

From there it was simple to run the power to the battery and the antennae cable from the tail gate.

The connector for the handset tucks away when not in use, but is easily reach to hook up when needed.
                [ATTACH]847[/ATTACH]

And lastly I ordered the Quadratec Cobra 75 mount that fixes to the grab handle.

[ATTACH]848[/ATTACH]

All done! A pretty some installation without any drilling!

WHOA! nice job!! i like how you used that unused space! plus its super clean when you have it disconnected

My Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mamefreak View Post
                  WHOA! nice job!! i like how you used that unused space! plus its super clean when you have it disconnected
                  Thanks - I'm pleased with how it turned out. I also bought an external speaker which I want to hide away, but the one I ordered is 4" !!! and a bit big for a stealth installation, I should have double checked LOL.
                  So now I'll see how the handset sounds if it's a problem I'll get another (smaller) one, I've seen some guys install them (hidden) in the roll bar
                  2011 Mango Tango JKUR
                  3.5 Rock Krawler X Factor
                  35" Nitto Trail Grappler
                  ACE Rock Rails
                  Teraflex Hinge and Carrier
                  AEV Snorkel
                  EVO ProTek Skid plates

Comment

Dude.... Sick... Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    CDJW.org - Founder
                    2016 Rubicon
                    Awesome wife...

Comment

Nice! I was wondering where to go about putting my cb. I may go with something like this

Comment

Working...
                      X