Ultimate 14 bolt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 14 bolt

So I got the 14 bolt home and had to begin disassembly right away because it was too heavy to get out of the truck.

IMG_0450.jpg

I pulled the drums off and they are in their way to the scrap yard. So the first upgrade is disc brakes! I already ordered the caliper brackets from Ruff Stuff. I did a lot of comparison with other places online and they all seemed about the same price ($50). I also needed a pinion guard, so I wanted to get both at the same time to save on shipping. The reason I went with Ruff Stuff because I liked their pinion guard the best.

IMG_0451.jpg

The drums and hubs are pressed together with the studs, so I knocked them out with a hammer. They're too short for discs anyway.
    1978 CJ-7
    Build in Progress

I took the cover off today and noticed that the gears looked welded. This will save me a few hundred on a locker. Notice the small weld in the photo.

image.jpg

So I should probably spend some of that saved dough on a new cover. This one is pretty torn up on the bottom and got banged right in the middle.

IMG_0080.jpg

You can see on the inside where the dent got shaved down by the gears.

IMG_1879.jpg

That's okay though because I plan on shaving the diff for more ground clearance.
    1978 CJ-7
    Build in Progress

Comment

Wow man... Great progress. Keep it up and keep the pics coming!
      CDJW.org - Founder
      2016 Rubicon
      Awesome wife...

Comment

Welded gears will work, it's an old school locker, tough driving on the road. Also you have to hope the welder knows what he's doing, it usually takes a lot of weld to hold every thing together. If the weld lets go just about everything in that case will be destroyed.
        CDJW.org Board Member.
        Safety Officer.
        Original.

Comment

Got something that should help when working on all my old parts.

IMG_1880.jpg
          IMG_1881.jpg
          1978 CJ-7
          Build in Progress

Comment

Got some new heavy duty parts today.

Now I need to clean up the axle, get the brake parts and put it all together.
            1978 CJ-7
            Build in Progress

Comment

So I've been away from this project for a while. I've been very slowly cleaning the parts I'm reusing and painting the bare metal new parts. I have some pictures to share of the progress, but for some reason am having trouble loading from the app.

I'm doing one side at a time and so I'm still on the first side. I've installed the caliper bracket and bolted on the caliper to check the fit. The hub is cleaned up and primed. I will be installing new bearings and seals in the hubs, which I still need to get. I also need to get the rotors and wheel studs.
              1978 CJ-7
              Build in Progress

Comment

So I picked up all needed parts and finished the left side disc brake conversion today. Pics to come once I can post from the app again. It looks great!
                1978 CJ-7
                Build in Progress

Comment

I figured out how to change the photo sharing settings. So here we go

I cleaned the old hub
                  image-2492683889.jpg

Painted the end of the axle tube
                  20141223_170214.jpg

Bolted on the caliper bracket
                  IMG_4180.jpg

Painted the hub and reinstalled bearings races and seals.
                  image.jpg
                  image.jpg
                  1978 CJ-7
                  Build in Progress

Comment

Next step was to connect the rotor to the hub by pressing in the wheel studs. I had to use longer studs than were originally on there due to the conversion.
                    image.jpg

The rotor/hub assembly on the axle tube
                    jeep off road6-11-04 (38).jpg

These are the parts that hold the hub on the axle
                    DSC02262.jpg

And installed
                    1978 CJ-7
                    Build in Progress

Comment

Last step is to attach the caliper. Finally the whole thing put together!
                      image-3050289252.jpg
                      20150101_143936.jpg

This was a very simple upgrade and should be well worth it once I get the axle installed under the Jeep.
                      1978 CJ-7
                      Build in Progress

Comment

Working...
                      X