Time for some new tires...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for some new tires...

So I am at a point where I want to start thinking about new tires. I have run KM2's for a long while now and want something different. I had Nitto Mud grapplers on two of my rides and I just like the way they look so I am thinking of getting a set of those. YES, I know they are loud, but I dont care about that. They are GREAT offroad and good in poor weather. SO my issue really isnt what tire I want, its the size rim I want. I LIKE the cheap cheap cheap that comes with a good ole set of 15 inch cheap o rims (what I am running now) but like the idea of running larger rotors to help with stopping power but would need a 17inch rim at least to accommodate that.

Only other issue with the 15s is, they are 14.5 inch wide on the 15 inch rim, and its recommended to use a 9.5 or 10 inch wide rim.

Also - should have mentioned.... I got a guy that wants to buy my rims and tires as is for 1k, so - new rims it is.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    CDJW.org - Founder
    2016 Rubicon
    Awesome wife...

If you run a narrower rim than is recommended it's called a poor mans bead lock. You will be able to air down lower without problems.
    CDJW.org Board Member.
    Safety Officer.
    Original.

Comment

Yeah, I did that with my last set of Nitto's.. I ran stock rims on the 35/12.5/17's. So those were an inch or two narrower than recommended and it all worked out. Maybe that's the deal..
      CDJW.org - Founder
      2016 Rubicon
      Awesome wife...

Comment

If I have my facts right.. 17" rims/tires are "fading out" They aren't as easy to get any more... price out 18's also... just for shits and giggles... I know sidewall is a big deal and all but it -might- be cheaper to get 18's... as stated above you don't want 16's because bigger rotors so that's out of the question.

Isn't there a upgraded caliper kit out there? stock rotor size but has multiple piston caliper upgrade for more stopping power without compromising diameter I think - but.... I believe that's from Terraflex... which is far from cheap stuff but I hear is very good. ( I'd stay away from drilled and/or slotted rotors.. mud + holes = a pain in the ass. lol )
        1989 Jeep YJ
        9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
        Handmade/Custom made everything
        35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

Comment

Originally posted by Droni.
          If I have my facts right.. 17" rims/tires are "fading out" They aren't as easy to get any more... price out 18's also... just for shits and giggles... I know sidewall is a big deal and all but it -might- be cheaper to get 18's... as stated above you don't want 16's because bigger rotors so that's out of the question.

Isn't there a upgraded caliper kit out there? stock rotor size but has multiple piston caliper upgrade for more stopping power without compromising diameter I think - but.... I believe that's from Terraflex... which is far from cheap stuff but I hear is very good. ( I'd stay away from drilled and/or slotted rotors.. mud + holes = a pain in the ass. lol )
          I ended up going with 37 inch mud grapplers on 17 inch rims. I
          CDJW.org - Founder
          2016 Rubicon
          Awesome wife...

Comment

nice nice, can't wait to see them!
            1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

with all the money you make get a set of hutchinson bead locks it will only set you back 400 per rim

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on the used market lately and it's nearly all 17's now.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTosh View Post
                  I've been keeping an eye on the used market lately and it's nearly all 17's now.
                  Huh.. interesting. I'll have to check my sources to find out what I was told by my supplier and see if they're wrong. time to get the baby powder out.
                  1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

I ended up returning the 37's, paid too much felt guilty. I do want to give it a shot some time, but in a less expensive manor. need to start keeping an eye out for 5 cheap 17inch rims.
                    CDJW.org - Founder
                    2016 Rubicon
                    Awesome wife...

Comment

Working...
                    X