Slip joint boot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip joint boot?

How important is the slip joint boot on the front DS? I was wheelin and come over center and got some rocks up on mine and tore the end of the boot off, every thing I find on the net says either cut the rest off and use some heavy grease (5 wheel or open gear) or replace the DS...all aftermarket shafts don't have a boot so why does the stock shaft and what are your guys opinion

Its very important.. Eventually the shaft will just rust up enough to stop moving. This will put pressure on the suspension and drive train. The stock shaft has the boot because its junk material thats VERY rust prone. Luckily - you can look around on craigslist or call up rensselaer county customs, or another place like that and ask them if they have any stock JK shafts (They replace them all the time). RCC gave me one for like 200 bucks a few years ago.
    CDJW.org - Founder
    2016 Rubicon
    Awesome wife...

Comment

Another memeber - Jay Bowers, had his boot rip and he left it untreated for a year or so and it caused some issues for him. What size lift do you have? MY opinion is - if you have ANY lift at all you should have the exhaust spacers installed on the JK's. I have an aftermarket Tom Woods front shaft and I did the spacers anyway.
      CDJW.org - Founder
      2016 Rubicon
      Awesome wife...

Comment

I have a 3 1/2 lift and it's an 09 so it didn't need spacers for the exhaust like the newer ones. I can get a boot online for about $40 then it's just a matter of dropping the one end of the DS and sliding it apart...if it gives me problems then Woods it is... Thanks for the input and advice

Comment

make sure before you separate the drive shaft that you mark both sides for alignment. Its balanced like it sits and you dont want to mess that up.
          2003 TJ X - Light Metallic Khaki and Black "Blackout Special" on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires
          M101 CDN2 Trailer on 33x12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar Tires

More mods than can fit in a signature ;-)

My Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mamefreak View Post
            make sure before you separate the drive shaft that you mark both sides for alignment. Its balanced like it sits and you dont want to mess that up.
            Great point.. Sharpie or chalk will do.
            CDJW.org - Founder
            2016 Rubicon
            Awesome wife...

Comment

Originally posted by Tman74 View Post
              I have a 3 1/2 lift and it's an 09 so it didn't need spacers for the exhaust like the newer ones. I can get a boot online for about $40 then it's just a matter of dropping the one end of the DS and sliding it apart...if it gives me problems then Woods it is... Thanks for the input and advice
              Your right - I forgot thats a 2012 and newer "issue". lol
              CDJW.org - Founder
              2016 Rubicon
              Awesome wife...

Comment

Originally posted by mamefreak View Post
                I knew that but neglected to remember it, thanks for the refresher!!! Think I'm just gonna go with a Woods front and back and save the headache plus get the valuable upgrade...here's another question, I'm running 35's and it's a dog, is it worth the loss in top end to swap out the 4:10 for 4:56 gears? Only thing that saves it from being a complete turd is I have a 6 speed manual

Comment

Two things, 1. the older jeeps never had boots on the drive shafts, but they had grease fittings on them to keep them working. Probably more heavy duty material also. 2. Personally, and it's just my opinion. I don't think it's worth the time or money to change gears unless you go 100 or more. 4:10 to 4:56 you'll hardly notice any difference. In your case the minimum I'd go to is 4:88. 5:13 would be much better for the trails. But would kill you on the road. My choice would be 4:10 to 4:88.
                  CDJW.org Board Member.
                  Safety Officer.
                  Original.

Comment

Originally posted by willys2a View Post
                    Two things, 1. the older jeeps never had boots on the drive shafts, but they had grease fittings on them to keep them working. Probably more heavy duty material also. 2. Personally, and it's just my opinion. I don't think it's worth the time or money to change gears unless you go 100 or more. 4:10 to 4:56 you'll hardly notice any difference. In your case the minimum I'd go to is 4:88. 5:13 would be much better for the trails. But would kill you on the road. My choice would be 4:10 to 4:88.
                    That's why I was thinking of just running some open gear lube, we use it on hoist cables to keep them from rusting and it not only penetrates but bonds well to metal so it's not likely to fling off (but hey it's a jeep so flinging rust prevention oil all over the bottom really couldn't hurt, lol)
                    As far as the gearing I thought the same but thought I'd lose too much top end, I don't want a trailer princess it is my DD when I don't have a company truck, but further research tends to agree

6sp trans in 6th gear = .84:1
                    .84*4.10 = 3.444
                    .84*4.88 = 4.099
                    .84*5.13 = 4.309

Comment

Working...
                    X