Hemi Swap - Info requested...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemi Swap - Info requested...

Don't get excited. I'll probably never do it. It's a huge expensive project. But...

Friday I'll be picking up a complete, running, Durango with the 5.7l hemi. My plan is to make this a plow rig. However, now that I know it's got the hemi, I'm tempted to research pulling the hemi and putting it in my Jeep... Has anyone here done it? Any tips? Write ups? Advice? As stated, the "donor" is a complete, running, driving Durango... So I've got everything. I've got the shop and the tools to do it. I've got a helper (Dad) who has built a couple dozen street rods over the last 40 years or so, so the knowledge and ability is there... I feel crazy to consider this but I'd feel just as crazy to not look into it...

Jay Curtis has a Hemi in his, don't know if he did it, had it done or bought it that way? Straight up engine swap would be easy enough. But I'd be totally lost with the computer and electrics.
    CDJW.org Board Member.
    Safety Officer.
    Original.

Comment

So far, because I have the complete donor vehicle, it seems the only real electronic issue is that I need to keep my upstream Jeep O2 sensors to place downstream post swap... Everything else is used from the Durango. But recently I read there may be issues with getting the gauges and displays to work.

Comment

My pop-in-law (Jay Curtis) did not do his, he had it built for him by American Expedition Vehicle (AEV)

With this build I could see a boat load of "wtf" moments, and sending out the computers to be reflashed and what not for everything to work properly.

Making a lot of new wiring harnesses (or buying them pre-made) because the Duragno has options or lack there of - from the JK.

Keep note - the duragno computer will not work.. there is a LOOOOT more than just the engine that the pc works with in those new JK's..

unless you have lots of time and money... just toss a supercharger on there for 1/4 the cost if it's power you're looking for. putting a power adder, full exhaust and new intake/tune will give you the same - if not more - power than that Hemi.. and it'll weigh a few hundred pounds less.
        Last edited by Droni.; 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM.
        1989 Jeep YJ
        9 inch lift.. or more? Not sure anymore.
        Handmade/Custom made everything
        35" Mud claw tires. 15" rims. ALL THE SIDEWALL!

Comment

Man that is a bit of a conundrum...

The Hemi Motor conversion could be a real money pit
          The plow truck could be a real moneymaker
          The money you make with the plow truck could be used to buy Jeep Mods..
          ..but a Hemi Jeep would be so cool......!

Comment

Well as with all things there's more to the story. I can't take plow work because there's no title, so I can't drive it on the road. Also, I'm getting the Durango for $0.00. So basically a free hemi and trans...

Now looking at it, AEV sells a kit... I wonder if I could piecemeal the kit, get the wire harness and some of the other stuff that I can't make myself. Not worried about relocation brackets and all that nonsense. By the time I'm ready to do this, I'll just put the Jeep up for a winter and spend a couple months playing with it. Actually the AEV kit won't work with the Durango hemi. But JeepSpeedShop in California uses them almost exclusively. I should look into their kit.

The transmission output shafts are the same from the 545RFE to my 42RLE so my transfer case would be fine... Electronics are the only issue. But that's a Billy YOOOOOOOCH issue...
            Last edited by ItsTosh; 11-09-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Droni. View Post
              My pop-in-law (Jay Curtis) did not do his, he had it built for him by American Expedition Vehicle (AEV)

With this build I could see a boat load of "wtf" moments, and sending out the computers to be reflashed and what not for everything to work properly.

Making a lot of new wiring harnesses (or buying them pre-made) because the Duragno has options or lack there of - from the JK.

Keep note - the duragno computer will not work.. there is a LOOOOT more than just the engine that the pc works with in those new JK's..

unless you have lots of time and money... just toss a supercharger on there for 1/4 the cost if it's power you're looking for. putting a power adder, full exhaust and new intake/tune will give you the same - if not more - power than that Hemi.. and it'll weigh a few hundred pounds less.
              Can you elaborate on this, a little, in layman terms, so I can do more research?

Comment

Sure dude, I don't know 100% because I never have done one. but I do work in a repair shop and know how complicated the BCM (Body control module) and PCM (powertrain control module) are. they literally control the whole vehicle. the PCM - unless you plan on replacing the whole thing and getting one that will be programmed to your current Jeep with the hemi swap - will be the biggest difficulty. you'd have to re-tune the Hemi to work *properly* with your driveline components. I may be thinking too much in to it. it could be as easy as sending your PCM to someone and saying "bro I got this engine this jeep, flash it k thanks bye" then be on your way. who knows - the way technology is now days it's either a huge pain in the ass or as simple as dropping the engine, wiring in with the correct harnesses and on your way you go.

I mean - it IS a Jeep. if you dream of it, there are parts for it to be done.

ignition, timing, fuel delivery-a/f ratio, the abundance of sensors the Pentastar has that the old Hemi doesn't. wait.. after thought. you never mentioned the year of the Rango. what year is the donor?

just blurting out what my personal concerns would be.

But dude - if you really plan to do this. I'd LOVE to be a part of it.

if I'm way out in left field on my thought train someone stop me lol I don't want to be totally incorrect.

Edit : After re-reading this like 4 times I feel like my concerns are way too much. it could be simple if you have the pcm flashed/wiring harnesses made professionally and us routing/installing them. just very time consuming, but that's 90% of the fun

I'm just a worry wart and have dealt with some crappy electronic issues before.
                Last edited by Droni.; 11-10-2017, 12:30 PM.
                1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

All great points... Question: Beyond Engine/Transmission/Transfer Case, you've got electronics on the brakes (including wheel speed sensors...), the steering, and...? So if you had the right set up, you could use E/T/TC out of the donor rig and wouldn't that handle many of the concerns? At that point, wouldn't most of the programming on the PCM/BCM be fine in stock form?

While I DO want to try this in the future, the day after I picked up my Hemi I got an offer that I couldn't refuse and sold it. So the plan is tabled for now.

Comment

Different systems and components. the program/computers on the donor vehicle will have different programming. you'd need it to be flashed. if you are going that extra step you may as well use the one in the Jeep because it's newer and hardware is more up to date/less used. At that point it wouldn't matter which computer you use because it'll be flashed anyway - unless there's a requirement from the flashing company on which computer to use. For example a 2001 sensor isn't the same as a 2013 sensor. same goes for every other component - a Ram tuner doesn't work on a Wrangler - type of thing.
                    1989 Jeep YJ

Comment

Working...
                    X